Re: gpl and hosted apps

David M.Besonen wrote:
> does the gpl (v2 or v3-draft) address the issue of hosted apps?
> specifically, does the gpl prevent someone from taking code, modifying
> it, and putting it on a server and charging people to use the app
> without making the source available?

The GPL version 2 does not.  The GPL version 3 does not directly, but it
permits licensors to add such a condition without being incompatible
with the GPL version 3.  In any case, such a condition may or may not be
considered Free by Debian, but I suspect that debate will wait until
someone wants to package a piece of software using such a clause on top
of the GPL version 3.

- Josh Triplett