Re: Is libreludedb DFSG compliant?

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 07:50:04PM +0100, Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:
> Well, you can always make exceptions to the GPL (like the
> exception in the eCos license). And publicly saying "I believe

Exceptions remove restrictions, not add them.  It's saying, "the
work is under the GPL; and you also have permission to copy and
do other things under these circumstances, too".  That doesn't
contradict the GPL itself.

Saying "it's under the GPL, except that you can't do this and that"
does.  You can probably still do it, if you're careful, but the result
isn't under the GPL at all, since you're removing permissions that
the GPL ordinarily grants.

> that the term 'derivative work' should be interpreted as
> follows" surely has some effect?

I'd hope not.  Derivative works are defined by copyright law.  If
you don't have any copyright claim to a work because it's not
a derivative work of yours, you don't get to change that by
redefining the term "derivative work".

--
Glenn Maynard