Re: Is libreludedb DFSG compliant?

On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 02:50:23PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Mickael Profeta <mike@alezan.org>
> > If you link LibPreludeDB against other code all of which is itself
> > licensed under the GNU General Public License, version 2 dated June 1991

This should probably say "available under the terms of ...". BSD-licensed
software is not licensed under the GPL; it's licensed under a GPL-compatible
license.

I don't understand the point of all this, though.  If you want to dual-
license your work, just dual-license it, and skip this "conditional
license" weirdness.

> > ("GPL v2"), or compatible license, then you may use Libprelude under the
> > terms of the GPL v2,as appearing in the file COPYING.  If the file
> > COPYING is missing, you can obtain a copy of the GPL v2 from the Free
> > Software Foundation Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
> > 02110-1301, USA.
> >
> > ----
> >
> > Is this ok?
>
> Yes, as far as I can see (at least until GPL v3 gets involved).

Well, that won't be anything unique: a whole lot of software doesn't
allow GPL upgrading.

I predict massive license compatibility headaches when that's released,
even if it doesn't include any controversial changes (and I'm not
holding up much hope of that).

--
Glenn Maynard