Re: Is libreludedb DFSG compliant?

MJ Ray wrote:

>Mickael Profeta <mike@alezan.org>
>

>>Just got the answer of upstream:
>>----
>>The LICENSE.README file highlight the fact that is is not legal to link
>>a non GPL work (meaning proprietary work) to libpreludedb. LibpreludeDB
>>itself is GPL. But proprietary program can't link against libpreludeDB
>>unless they get a commercial license.
>>
>>I think the LICENSE.README file could be modified to add the missing bit
>>about the "GPL compatible" license. Would that be acceptable ?
>>----
>>Would such a modification be enough, or should it be more deeply modified?
>>

>I think such a modification would be enough, but I am slightly worried
>that they call all non-GPL works proprietary: what about LGPL- and
>BSD-style-licensed works which Joerg said you are linking against?
>Do you have any "GPL-incompatible" parts?

No there is no GPL-incompatible part.

Here is the proposition of change provided by the maintainer:

----

If you link LibPreludeDB against other code all of which is itself
licensed under the GNU General Public License, version 2 dated June 1991
("GPL v2"), or compatible license, then you may use Libprelude under the
terms of the GPL v2,as appearing in the file COPYING.  If the file
COPYING is missing, you can obtain a copy of the GPL v2 from the Free
Software Foundation Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
02110-1301, USA.

----

Is this ok?

Thanks