Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> writes:
>>Brian Thomas Sniffen writes:
>>>But why do you think RMS is so keen to have a working, FSF-owned Hurd?
>>
>>NIH syndrome.  What is your explanation?
>
> I'm sure he'd like to make a system with guaranteed only free
> programs.

As would many Free Software users and developers, but I seriously doubt
that goal has anything to do with the HURD.  Apart from the idea that
that would run counter to the logic proposed in the decision to make
glibc LGPLed, there is the issue of whether a program is a derived work
or not.  Linus has stated on several occasions that the statement he has
made regarding the user/kernel boundary and the GPL was simply a
clarification regarding "derived works": a program written to standard
UNIX interfaces is clearly not a derivative of Linux, HURD, or any other
particular UNIX system.

- Josh Triplett