Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> writes:

> Brian Thomas Sniffen writes:
>
>> But what ends up on the user's Debian system when he types "apt-get
>> install eclipse; eclipse" is a program incorporating a JVM and many
>> libraries.  Debian's not just distributing Eclipse or just
>> distributing Kaffe -- the idea is that we'll be distributing the
>> Debian OS which includes both, linked together.
>
> Setting aside the trademark question, what ends up on the user's
> Debian system when he types "apt-get install mozilla-firefox;
> mozilla-firefox" is a program incorporating a GPLed kernel with
> incompatibly licensed application code.  Why is that any different
> from what you describe?

Linus specifically documented that he understood this issue and didn't
consider the GPL to restrict what programs could be run on top of a
kernel, so long as they used standard interfaces.

But why do you think RMS is so keen to have a working, FSF-owned Hurd?

-Brian