Re: GPL on rendered images

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 05:14:56AM +0100, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
> Well, its a practical problem that some people are facing and that
> applies to a whole bunch of free software. Its not necesarry the
> unwillingness of the author, might also be that the images simply got
> lost over time, that textures or other stuff got used that isn't
> allowed to be distributed seperatly or whatever. Things that are in
> Debian that are affected by this issue would be netpanzer, Pingus,
> Freecraft FCMP, BOS and that might be just the start, so far I havn't
> seen much 3d models being distributed with sourcecode, so I guess
> quite a lot of games should be affected.

Why?

The reason that source and object code are linked in the GPL is because,
rightly or wrongly, they're linked in their treatment in copyright law.

Are you claiming that the game elements you're talking about are likewise
linked?

If so, could you give some more information on how copyright law has
treated this issue?

Thanks,

--
Raul