Re: GPL on rendered images

* Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com> [12/12/04, 16:34:17]:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, Frank Loeffler wrote:
> > If I put an rendered image under GPL, do I have to open the model
> > which I used to render it as well?
>
> You have to include the prefered form for modification, which, as I
> read it, includes the model file used to render the image as well.

That is, the author has to include his preferred form for modification.
If he's working on the model file to change something for the rendered
image, it's the model file. If he prefers to push around pixels
manually, it's not.

> I'd highly suggest doing this even if you don't think that the model
> is the prefered form for modification, as it will enable anyone who
> later works on the work to apply bug fixes to the model and anything
> else that was used to actually create the work. [I know I appreciate
> having vector forms of the works that I have to make modifications
> to.]

I agree here. But I wanted to point you at a discussion about the GPL
and artwork we had on this list before that led us to agree that
"Preferred form of modification" is the author's (artist's) preferred
form of modification, not whatever someone else would like.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin aka. nowhere (blin<at>gmx.net), WorldForge Project
Web: http://www.worldforge.org/

unfair competition, n.:
	Selling cheaper than we do.