Re: GPL on rendered images

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 07:56:16AM +0100, Kai Blin wrote:
> > I'd highly suggest doing this even if you don't think that the model
> > is the prefered form for modification, as it will enable anyone who
> > later works on the work to apply bug fixes to the model and anything
> > else that was used to actually create the work. [I know I appreciate
> > having vector forms of the works that I have to make modifications
> > to.]
>
> I agree here. But I wanted to point you at a discussion about the GPL
> and artwork we had on this list before that led us to agree that
> "Preferred form of modification" is the author's (artist's) preferred
> form of modification, not whatever someone else would like.

If you create a model, and render a PNG with that model, the source for
the PNG is the model.  Okay, that's easy; we all probably agree here.

If I take your PNG, stick it in photoshop, edit it for a while, and save
that to a PNG, what's the source?  I'd say it's the PSD file or the PNG;
in any case, the model file is no longer relevant and isn't the source
at all.  (Your idea of "source"--even as the original author--isn't
relevant; my preferred form for modification, as the person actually
modifying, is what counts.)

I *think* you agree with the above, and this is just a more detailed
example of what we agree on, clarifying the question "which author/artist's
preferred form of modification?".

--
Glenn Maynard