Re: mass bug filing for unmet dependencies (Was: firmware status for eagle-usb-*)

Raul Miller writes:

> > Raul Miller a écrit :
> > > Those boot loaders are not in main.
>
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 08:21:53AM +0200, Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:
> > Which bootloaders are you talking about?
> > So far, lilo/grub/yaboot are in main.
>
> I was talking about the prior bootloader stage in rom (typically in the
> bios), which was the first issue raised at the begining of the subthread
> with this subject line.
>
> I'm not surprised that you didn't understand what I was talking about,
> though -- it's a silly issue.

Or maybe he didn't understand what you were talking about because you
were using jargon peculiarly.  Most people use "boot loader" to refer
to the stub loaded from disk that starts in real mode and loads the
kernel.  Most people use "BIOS" to refer to software that, in part,
loads and starts that stub.  You used "boot loader" to refer to the
latter.

While I'm ranting on definitions, I wish others (Glenn) would stop
using "EPROM" when they mean something else.  Few, if any, consumer
electronics, and probably no motherboards, use an EPROM to hold
program or firmware data.  Google can explain the difference between
PROM, EPROM, EEPROM and flash memory.

Michael Poole