Re: firmware status for eagle-usb-*

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 08:05:34AM -0400, Michael Poole wrote:
> They are useful only for people who agree with you about certain
> premises.

This sentence is true of all communication.

The premises typically being the definitions of the words used.

> Examples: the firmware is software rather than hardware and
> the driver depends on the firmware.  Those who agree with those
> premises already agree with your conclusions.

See?  You are disagreeing on definitions.

Another premise which would work better is that firmware is somewhere
between hardware and software and that there are circumstances where it
makes sense to treat firmware as hardware and other circumstances where
it makes sense to treat firmware as software.  I feel that this premise
is closer to Brian's point of view than the one you just now expressed.

> Your observation does nothing to convince those who disagree.

That's always a problem with communications.

Interested in making communication more possible?  Focus on finding
premises you can agree on, and for the words where you can't, focus on
the reasons for picking one definition over an other.

Alternatively, we continue to try to talk about things is such general
terms that we're not really saying anything about any relevant issue.

--
Raul