Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Josh Triplett <josh.trip@verizon.net> wrote:
>>Matthew Garrett wrote:
>>
>>>It is certainly the case that I would like our users to be able to use
>>>their computers regardless of the mechanism that the vendor uses to ship
>>>firmware, yes. Remember that we don't ship contrib as part of the
>>>installer, either.
>>
>>Thanks to the excellent work of the installer team, debian-installer is
>>incredibly modular.  Surely someone could add hooks to load modules from
>>contrib (only if the autodetected devices need them, and prompting
>>first), either downloaded from the network or supplied on some physical
>>medium?  You seem to be advocating an ideological "compromise" solution
>>for what sounds more like a technical problem.
>
> We could do that, but it couldn't reasonably form part of the standard
> debian-installer. A forked d-i doesn't do anyone any favours.

I don't see why we couldn't put support for using contrib udebs for
things such as drivers in the standard d-i.  The contrib udebs would
need to be in the contrib archive, and they obviously couldn't go on the
standard CD, but they could be downloaded if needed (again, only if the
user assents to their use), or installed from a secondary CD or one of
the various other media that d-i can read from.

- Josh Triplett