Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 04:12:20PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> Modify the social contract to create a new section that would be
>> distributed alongside main, and put the firmware in there.
>
> This is the wrong mailing list for that sort of proposal.

That's why I'm not actively proposing it here. Brian asked me a
question, and I answered it.

> Debian-project is probably a better list for that discussion.  Or, if
> you feel that you've sorted out most of the views which are important
> to other developers, debian-vote.

Indeed. After Sarge is released, I intend to spend some time on working
this out properly.

> Personally, I'm more than a little dubious of the concept -- the role
> of your proposed "new section" seems to be exactly the same role as
> "non-free".  Except -- rather than being a convenience for some of our
> web-connected users, you want it to have the operational status as main.

It is certainly the case that I would like our users to be able to use
their computers regardless of the mechanism that the vendor uses to ship
firmware, yes. Remember that we don't ship contrib as part of the
installer, either.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org