Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 02:23:52PM -0700, Ken Arromdee wrote:
> And if the device has an eprom, then "for the driver to work, you have to find
> and install an eprom containing a copy of the code".  (The eprom is harder to
> lose, of course, so it's *usually* already installed, but it's not clear that
> that difference is relevant.)

And you have to find and soldier a PCI connector (since it might have
been snapped off)--a device with a missing or corrupt EPROM is a broken
device that needs to be fixed.

Fundamentally, if I can say "apt-get install driver" and have the driver
work (at least for some hardware), it's main; if I have to first track
down and install some non-free pieces, it's contrib.  This "but it's not
the driver that needs it, the driver just gives it to the device!" just
feels like yet more flimsy rationalizing-around-the-social-contract.

--
Glenn Maynard