Re: non-free firmware: driver in main or contrib?

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> It is certainly the case that I would like our users to be able to use
> their computers regardless of the mechanism that the vendor uses to ship
> firmware, yes. Remember that we don't ship contrib as part of the
> installer, either.

Thanks to the excellent work of the installer team, debian-installer is
incredibly modular.  Surely someone could add hooks to load modules from
contrib (only if the autodetected devices need them, and prompting
first), either downloaded from the network or supplied on some physical
medium?  You seem to be advocating an ideological "compromise" solution
for what sounds more like a technical problem.

- Josh Triplett