Re: firmware status for eagle-usb-*

Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> writes:

>> And the CPU is hardware, so not covered by the DFSoftwareG.
>
> Is the device you mentioned not hardware?

The device is hardware.  The software uploaded to control it, from a
file on disk, is software.

>> >  These are not a useful observations.
>>
>> On the contrary, I've found them very useful.
>
> They are useful only for people who agree with you about certain
> premises.  Examples: the firmware is software rather than hardware and
> the driver depends on the firmware.  Those who agree with those
> premises already agree with your conclusions.  Your observation does
> nothing to convince those who disagree.

They demonstrate the internal consistency and practical applicability
of the model I propose.  The alternative models lead to either Debian
shipping nothing until there is a free CPU, or Debian shipping
anything because freedom has been defined out of existence.

-Brian