Re: AbiWord, trademarks, and DFSG-freeness

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 11:22:41PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
> * I noticed that there is at least one thing that can be done in the
> second hypothesis, but not in the first one: ...

If it matters -- if the trademark has some major significance beyond
being the product in question -- then the trademark is probably already
generic in that context.

It's the trademark holder's responsibility to prevent the trademark from
being used in the wrong fashion.  If they've created a machine level
interface which requires some functionality be associated with the name,
and they don't want that functionality associated with the name, that's
their problem.

--
Raul