Re: AbiWord, trademarks, and DFSG-freeness

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:40:23 -0400 Raul Miller wrote:

> If we are prohibited from removing the name abiword from some
> derivative form of the program, then we must be allowed to have
> abiword on that derivative form.

That's not enough for DFSG-freeness, IMHO: if I'm required to keep the
name "abiword" in every derivative work of abiword, I cannot sanely
choose a name for a derivative that is significantly different (in
scope, purpose, functionality and so forth) from the original.

That is a major restriction in modification and it seems to fail DFSG#3.

> Alternatively, once we're not allowed to have abiword on the
> derivative form, we can't be prohibited from removing the name.

This is fine, instead, because of DFSG#4.

P.S.: A little afterthought doubt: were you discussing about acceptable
restrictions for DFSG-freeness (as I thought when I began replying) or
simply about basic logic (that is: they cannot consistently prohibit
both things without effectively disabling permission to modify)?

--
          Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4