Re: MPlayer DFSG compatibility status

Josselin Mouette <josselin.mouette@ens-lyon.org> a tapoté :

> Le mer 08/10/2003 à 00:39, Gabucino a écrit :
> > We don't want to receive the endless flow of mails asking about why the
> > newest, apt-get'ed MPlayer doesn't play ASF/WMV files (a very significant
> > part of the streaming media on the Internet).
>
> If we don't want to include this support, this is not your problem. E.g.
> xine in Debian has WMV9 support stripped off, and there would be no
> reason for mplayer to include it if there are legal issues with it.
>
> > Debian actually forgets the legal issues in the case of xine (please don't
> > argue, a year has passed since this argument of mine was raised first, and no
> > effect to this very day), so *please* don't come with this line.
>
> Another issue is that the xine authors have always been cooperative
> instead of ranting about this and that.
>
> Anyway, after all successive problems we encountered with mplayer, the
> maintainer will have a hard time convincing the ftpmasters that his
> package is 100 % free software, and free of patent issues. You can call
> this discrimination, I will call this careful attention towards some
> people who already proved to be incompetent regarding legal issues.

While I completely agree with the rest of this message, there is no
reason to threat mplayer in a very special way: if no one can give a
reason to reject mplayer, there is no reason to reject mplayer, like
any other project. While mplayer must be checked carefully, if mplayer
is currently DFSG-compliant, it should not be complicated to convince
ftpmaster to let Debian users having mplayer.

The historical account of the mplayer team should not cause rejection
of mplayer.

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy