Re: MPlayer DFSG compatibility status

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 11:21:14AM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> While I completely agree with the rest of this message, there is no
> reason to threat mplayer in a very special way: if no one can give a
> reason to reject mplayer, there is no reason to reject mplayer, like
> any other project. While mplayer must be checked carefully, if mplayer
> is currently DFSG-compliant, it should not be complicated to convince
> ftpmaster to let Debian users having mplayer.
>
> The historical account of the mplayer team should not cause rejection
> of mplayer.

Of course it should.  See other messages I've posted about relying upon
upstream authors having done their homework so we can have a reasonable
and good-faith belief that the copyright and legal notices in a work
submitted to Debian are accurate.

With MPlayer, we have reason to lack such confidence.

The license vetting done by -legal and the Debian archive administrators
is contextual and will always have to be.  The context of our
experiences with MPlayer do not inspire much faith in the
representations of "Gabucino" regarding the license status of various
code distributed by the MPlayer organization.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Eternal vigilance is the price of
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     liberty.