Re: RFC: GPL plus securities industry disclaimer suitable for main?

Michelle Konzack wrote:

> >Just interpreting the GPL according to the laws of Germany might result
> >in further restrictions.  For example, GPLed software released before
> >1995 is not redistributable over the Internet.

> Can you give me spme online Resources about it ?

In Germany, a copyright holder cannot grant rights for distribution over
yet unknown channels.  Even if you allow all kinds of distribution, the
law essentially makes it "all currently known ways of distributing it".

Online distribution of copyrighted works is known since 1995 (in the
legal sense, at least that's the year that is mentioned in all such
discussions).

Fortunately, distribution methods are considered known even if they
aren't mentioned in the law (otherwise we'd have big problems now).

> I have trouble with the OpenSCO sourcecode, because I have programmed
> in 1988-1991 and uploaded some progs ans sourcecodes to a BBS in München.

As a German citizen, you cannot release anything into the public domain
(short of being dead for 70 years).  Some of your rights as an author
are inherently untransferable.

> The Binary and Sourcecode (for DOS) was in the Public Domain and for
> educational only, not for commercial use.

This is a contradiction.  If it was intended to be in the public domain,
their can't be any restrictions of its use.

All in all, I'd assume your code was never properly licensed.