Re: RFC: GPL plus securities industry disclaimer suitable for main?

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 09:35:44PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > The terms of use are to be construed in accordance with the Laws of
> > > England.
> >
> > This is GPL-incompatible.
>
> In what way?  Also note how they then add the per-country specifics, also
> common in the industry.

All "GPL-incompatible" problems take the same form: an additional
restriction which is not provided for in the GPL. The GPL itself
prohibits such restrictions.

I'm not so convinced that this is such a restriction, but in the
absence of an argument to the contrary, I'd assume it was.

It would be significantly inconvinient for a foreign user to be forced
to appear in a UK court should the copyright owner file suit against
them. Under UK law they _probably_ did something wrong to get this far
at all, but still, it wouldn't necessarily be the case in the absence
of this clause (and if it said "US law", that wouldn't hold).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |