Re: RFC: GPL plus securities industry disclaimer suitable for main?

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 10:15:59PM -0400, Walter Landry wrote:
> > You agree that you are a customer of Commerzbank who has been issued
> > with a valid password or the employee of such a customer who is
> > authorised by such customer to use such password and to access and
> > make use of this product area.
>
> This is just not true.  That would make the whole thing
> undistributable.

I was wondering about that from the first time I saw it. It's just plain
inapplicable (as we're not going to use the website; but I guess that's
where they typically expose code via client-accessible pages) but that
doesn't make it go away ...

> <snip>
> > The terms of use are to be construed in accordance with the Laws of
> > England.
>
> This is GPL-incompatible.

In what way?  Also note how they then add the per-country specifics, also
common in the industry.

> Otherwise, it looks mostly harmless.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards, Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx