Re: RFC: GPL plus securities industry disclaimer suitable for main?

Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I maintain GNU R (www.r-project.org and www.$ISOCODE.project.org) and a
> growing number of packages from its CRAN archive (cran.r-project.org, also
> country-code mirrors).  R is GPL'ed, and most of the CRAN packages are too.
>
> One such CRAN package, GPL'ed and all, was written by someone in the
> financial industry which happens to be one of the preferred habitats of
> layers, and so it carries an extra rider.  Could you good souls please opine
> if the following debian/copyright is ok for inclusion in Debian main?

After a quick once-over, it doesn't look so good.

<snip>
> You agree to be bound by our standard disclaimer contained at the bottom of
> this page.

This is a little funny.  Probably harmless.

> You agree that you are a customer of Commerzbank who has been issued
> with a valid password or the employee of such a customer who is
> authorised by such customer to use such password and to access and
> make use of this product area.

This is just not true.  That would make the whole thing
undistributable.

<snip>
> The terms of use are to be construed in accordance with the Laws of
> England.

This is GPL-incompatible.

Otherwise, it looks mostly harmless.

Regards,