Re: RFC: GPL plus securities industry disclaimer suitable for main?

Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 09:35:44PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> > > <snip>
>
> It would be significantly inconvinient for a foreign user to be forced
> to appear in a UK court should the copyright owner file suit against
> them. Under UK law they _probably_ did something wrong to get this far
> at all, but still, it wouldn't necessarily be the case in the absence
> of this clause (and if it said "US law", that wouldn't hold).

That provision is a "choice of law" provision, which does *NOT*
restrict which court a suit can be filed in.  Only a "choice of forum"
provision would have that problem.

In my opinion, choice of law provisions are certainly not
GPL-incompatibilities.

Thomas