Re: RFC: GPL plus securities industry disclaimer suitable for main?

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 08:39:11PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I maintain GNU R (www.r-project.org and www.$ISOCODE.project.org) and a
> growing number of packages from its CRAN archive (cran.r-project.org, also
> country-code mirrors).  R is GPL'ed, and most of the CRAN packages are too.
>
> One such CRAN package, GPL'ed and all, was written by someone in the
> financial industry which happens to be one of the preferred habitats of
> layers, and so it carries an extra rider.  Could you good souls please opine
> if the following debian/copyright is ok for inclusion in Debian main?
>
> Please do CC me as I'm not subscribed here.

I downloaded the source, and as far as I can tell, there are no
copyright statements, no contact information for any authors,
and is ambiguously under two licenses: the Commerzbank LICENSE
file, and the GPL.  And it mentions the GPL only in passing in
the description.

Note that the Commerzbank license is completely non-free, since it
does not specifically allow redistribuition _at all_.

I wouldn't touch this code with a ten-foot pole until clarification
is made by the copyright holders as to its legal provenance, and am
promptly deleting it from my machine.  (I'd recommend CRAN to do
the same.)

dave...