Re: RFC: GPL plus securities industry disclaimer suitable for main?

Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 10:15:59PM -0400, Walter Landry wrote:
> > > You agree that you are a customer of Commerzbank who has been issued
> > > with a valid password or the employee of such a customer who is
> > > authorised by such customer to use such password and to access and
> > > make use of this product area.
> >
> > This is just not true.  That would make the whole thing
> > undistributable.
>
> I was wondering about that from the first time I saw it. It's just plain
> inapplicable (as we're not going to use the website; but I guess that's
> where they typically expose code via client-accessible pages) but that
> doesn't make it go away ...

What it means is that whoever downloaded it from their site wasn't
really authorized to redistribute it.  This is probably an oversight.
You might be able to convince upstream to take this out, since I don't
think they meant it that way.

> > <snip>
> > > The terms of use are to be construed in accordance with the Laws of
> > > England.
> >
> > This is GPL-incompatible.
>
> In what way?  Also note how they then add the per-country specifics, also
> common in the industry.

It is an additional restriction on the code, which the GPL does not
permit.  There was a huge brou-haha a little while ago because Python
had this kind of thing in their license.  It didn't make it non-free,
but it did make it GPL-incompatible.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu