Re: various opinions on Debian vs the GFDL

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 11:08:39PM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 16:48, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > I don't think it could be
> > > considered straitforward to revise that with a text editor.
> > - <note timbre="trumpet">C#</note>
> > + <note timbre="trumpet">D</note>
> Yes, now, where is the source to this trumpet timbre? You may argue,
> "but it's a TRUMPET!", but there are a lot of weird sounds used in music
> that have a similar issue.

Sure, one of the nice things about sheet music is that you don't alway
send up with the exact same performace, so that degree of freedom is
entirely deliberate. If you /don't/ want that degree of freedom --
you're just trying to include a recording, you should be able to do a
text representation of a FFT or something, I would've thought. Long,
and ugly, but editable as text, and satisfying the terms of the GNU FDL
as far as I can see.

I'm not claiming anyone would /want/ to distribute sound this way, but the
fact that you /can/ means this doesn't make GNU FDL docs non-free, IMO.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''