Re: various opinions on Debian vs the GFDL

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 03:06:17PM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> > > I'd assume: "A 'Transparent' copy of the Document [is] suitable for
> > > revising the document straightforwardly with generic text editors...."
> > You could do something similar for sound effects or recorded sound by
> > dumping the FFT into XML, I think.
> Essentially, you'd be doing a big hex dump.

No, you wouldn't. There seem to me to be plenty of ways to have an XML
format for music that would be plausibly editable. Think scores and things.

> I don't think it could be
> considered straitforward to revise that with a text editor.

- <note timbre="trumpet">C#</note>
+ <note timbre="trumpet">D</note>

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

> Even if it
> was, "a copy made in an otherwise Transparent file format whose markup,
> or absence of markup, has been arranged to thwart or discourage
> subsequent modification by readers is not Transparent."

Which doesn't seem to be the case.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''