Re: the FSF's definition of Free Software and its value for Debian

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 09:29:32AM -0500, Jeremy Hankins wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I don't see what's unclear, ambiguous, or inefficient about saying "the
> > recipient and all third parties".
>                                  ^
> "in posesion of the (modified) software", right?
>
> Otherwise it can sound like "source must be available to everybody"
> again.

Yes, your correction seems apropos.

So, my proposal for the wording of this clause is:

  Each time you distribute the Document (or any work based on the
  Document), you grant to the recipient and all third parties
  in possession of the Document the authority to gain access to the
  work by descrambling the work if it is scrambled, decrypting the
  work if it is encrypted, and otherwise avoiding, bypassing,
  removing, deactivating, or impairing any and all technological
  measures effectively controlling access to the work.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Somebody once asked me if I thought
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    sex was dirty.  I said, "It is if