Re: QPL clause 3 is not DFSG-free

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 02:33:47AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Now, maybe the latter is what Trolltech *means*, but it's not what the
> license *says*.  When we've got representatives of the FSF asserting
> that there is no fair use right to private modification because of the
> _Texaco_ case, I'd say the safe bet is to:
>
> 1) get clarification from the licensor; and
> 2) get the license clarified and ensure that it respects the fair use
> right to private modification.

The distinction between these two, in case anyone doesn't understand, is
that 1) refers to a specific copyright holder's interpretation of the
license.  2) fixes most or all instances of the license to ensure that
it is not creatively interpreted in a way that abrogates Fair Use
rights.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |           If existence exists,