Re: the FSF's definition of Free Software and its value for Debian

Scripsit Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 09:55:14PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:

> > Surely, if I encode the Document, and it turns up in my encoding at
> > your computer a year later, it must be either because I gave you a
> > copy (in which case you get the rights) or because you got your copy
> > indirectly through someone who I gave a copy (in which case you still
> > get the rights).

> No, you could have broken into my computer and taken it.

Oh. Somewhat far out, I think. But nevertheless...

> But I don't think the GNU GPL needs to worry about "authorized
> recipients" versus "unauthorized recipients".

I don't think it does. I think it is counterintuitive to read the
"directly or indirectly" as a restrictive phrasing. On the contrary,
it is meant to be inclusive, pointing out explicitly that the rights
granted can *not* be restricted to *direct* recipients only.

--
Henning Makholm             "And when we retire, we will write the gospels."