Re: Combining proprietary code and GPL for in-house use

Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:

> The goal "the entire world must use MY license" is not one I support.
> The goal "the code I wrote shall stay free" is an admirable one which
> I do support. The GPL reaches that goal excellently even though it
> doesn't do everything the bad gyus may wish it to do.

Why do you think a strong GPL implies "the entire world must use MY
license"?  I want a strong GPL, and I want "the code I wrote shall
stay free", and I see a strong GPL as one way to achieve that goal.  I
have no objection to the use of other free software licenses by other
authors.

> You seem to be advocating security by obscurity. That's not usually
> the free-software way of doing things. The free-software way to fix
> bugs is to be open about them.

Unfortunately while that can work excellently with security software
(though I would note that it is Debian practice to work out security
problems in private), it works less well in many other cases.