Re: Combining proprietary code and GPL for in-house use

Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo@rano.org> writes:

> Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net>:
>
> > Linking is not necessarily copyright violation, but if combined with
> > certain other acts, the whole thing, including all its parts, are an
> > instance of illegal copying.  The total combination would indeed have
> > to be an act of copying, but it's quite irrelevant whether each and
> > every piece is.
>
> Unless you come up with a relevant example, this is going to look more
> like tedious niggling than a useful contribution to any discussion.

We have a case here of a work composed of two parts:

A) a gpl'd library
B) a main program with a gpl-incompatible license

The combined act of distributing A and B, with the intention to
combine them into A+B is the combined case.

Distributing A alone is not illegal.  Distributing B alone is not
illegal.

Distributing A+B is illegal.  And it's illegal no matter how many
people divide up the work, as long as what they are doing is intending
to distribute A+B.  You have to look at the *total situation* and not
just ask "is linking a copyright violation"?

The case we were talking about *is* a relevant example.