Re: Combining proprietary code and GPL for in-house use

Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:

> > Are you our friend or not?
>
> How is that relevant? Do you think courts will reject arguments simply
> because they are made by people that Thomas Bushnell does not count
> among his friends?

I explained why it's relevant already, but I'll explain again.

By "friend" I mean someone who wants the GPL strong.  By "enemy" I
mean someone who wants holes in the GPL so that they can subvert its
purposes.

Now suppose there is a flaw in the GPL.  In that case, a friend would
want the flaw fixed, quickly and quietly, so that it would get fixed
before any enemy uses the flaw to attack or subvert a major piece of
GPL'd software.

An enemy, by contrast, would publicize the flaw as widely as
possible.

An enemy's arguments might be quite valid, but we should not entertain
them, because having the argument can only do us harm.  A friend's
suggestions and help are most welcome, but we should engage them in a
way which is constructive and advances our goals.