Re: Combining proprietary code and GPL for in-house use

"none" <chloehoffman@hotmail.com> writes:

> I have trouble seeing how the separate distribution of A and B and then the
> end-user combining them is infringement by either the distributor or the
> end-user. Assuming that neither A nor B includes code from each other, then
> A is not a derivative work of B nor is B a derivative work of A and so they
> are not derivative works distributed under the GPL which would trigger the
> incompatibility issue for the distributor.

It sounds like your goal is to subvert the GPL, in which case you are
not our friend.  If your goal is to try and figure out ways that bad
people might subvert the GPL, so that the FSF can fix them, then you
should bring such issues up in private with the FSF.  Bringing them up
in public, on a list where they will never reach the relevant people,
serves only to help those people who want to subvert the GPL.

However, regardless of your motives, this discussion isn't appropriate
for debian-legal.

Thomas