Re: Combining proprietary code and GPL for in-house use

John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> writes:

> >I would assume that Hoffman is also aware that he's not a developer.
> >Why is it supposed to alienate someone to remind them that certain
> >lists are primarily for the use of developers, not users?
>
> Because they aren't.

Maybe you should go read lists.debian.org again.

>    There are many world-open mailing lists, meaning anyone can read
>    everything that is posted, and participate in the discussions.
>    Everyone is encouraged to help development of Debian and to spread the
>    word of free software.

But not everyone is encouraged to snipe or do things which hurt our
Project.

> I can just see it now.  T:"who are you?"  C:"None of your business"
> T:"no, I mean it, who are you" C:"your worst nightmare if you don't quit
> asking questions"...

Is that a threat?  Who are you?  Who are you?

> >And what we want is: what the name is that everyone else knows you
> >by.
>
> John Galt.  All of my friends also get emailed from this address.  In
> fact, so does my connected family.

And that's everyone?  What's on your drivers' license?  What's on your
college records?  When employers send you checks, who do they make
them out to?  That's what the world means by "name", and that's all
I'm asking.  It's not some bizarre thing, it's a normal thing.

> You see?  Your key name isn't the same one on your BC.  For shame!

But Thomas *is* my legal name.  No shame in changing one's name, which
is an entirely different matter from hiding one's name.

> Then why didn't you say that?  You accused Hoffman of not being a
> friend.

I said that his actions were potentially harmful to the Project and
asked for clarification about his motives.  He seems to have lost
interest.

Thomas