Re: GNU License and Computer Break Ins

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 03:27:34PM -0500, Paul Serice wrote:
> I'm trying to understand this GPL thing to see if I can stay a Debian
> developer in good conscience.
> Then I wake up one day to learn that GPL isn't what I thought it
> was. Well, its social reach extended further than I thought it did.
> It seems to be about making sure that the community immediately
> has access to the source code to the exclusion of almost any other
> consideration.

First, you really ought to learn to think clearly.

You've assigned the wrong purpose to the GPL.  For example: people can
play with their own private copies of GPLed software without distributing
any of those copies.

However, the GPL tries to make sure that -- once copies of GPLed software
are distributed -- the recipients of the software have as many rights as
any other recipients of any other versions of that software.  [That means
no peculiar rules about how recipient c has to follow special procedures
when modifying the version of the software received from recipient f,
for instance.]

If your conscience can't deal with that, fine.

But please stop with all this angst about stuff you've made up.

                              * * * * *

Earlier, you asked why Debian didn't issue a statement of protest
against RMS.  For breaking the law.

If you still hold that point of view, I don't see you presenting the
relevant information, to back it up.  If you don't hold that point of
view, I don't see you apologizing.

[Did I mention that I used to work with a guy whose hobby was to help
other people make copies of his personal music collection?  Did I
mention that the music was copyrighted in a fashion such that this was
explicitly legal?  Do you want to accuse him of committing crimes, too?]

--
Raul