Re: GNU License and Computer Break Ins

Seth David Schoen wrote:

> Raul Miller writes:
>
> > On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 06:32:49AM -0500, Paul Serice wrote:
> > > I guess I didn't say that too well. I feel betrayed because I thought
> > > the GPL was about respecting the work of other people. If those people
> > > only want their work to be used openly, then GPL is the license for
> > > them (or so I thought). If you want your work used in a different
> > > manner then just say so. After all, it's your work. Of all the people
> > > in the world, you should have the largest say regarding how your work
> > > is used.
>
> Let's distinguish "you should have the largest say regarding how your
> work is used" from "you should have legal authority to control how
> your work is used".
>
> The GPL is about one thing, and the social and political program of
> Richard Stallman is about that _and other things, too_.  You can still
> use the GPL even if you don't agree with those other things -- there
> is no clause in the GPL which constitutes a loyalty oath.

I would agree that for many issues it is possible to separate things
as you say, but every so often an issue comes around where making the
separation is difficult.

For example, the Confederate flag that flies over South Carolina is
probably the best example of this.  On the one hand, the flag
represents states rights which one can be for or against without
shame, but on the other hand, it has a terrible tradition with the KKK
and of having represented the losing side in a war that decided the
issue of slavery in the U.S.

Because of its horrible tradition, even a state's rights advocate such
as myself can see that it is time for a new flag.

And no, I'm not trying link the GPL with slavery.  Just merely
pointing out that sometimes it makes sense to avoid things with clear
but multiple meanings.

> Of course, if you don't think the FSF is trustworthy, don't use
> "Version 2, or, at your option, any later version".

You make my point for me.  Authors currently have the right to choose
how their work is used.  It has come to my attention that the GPL is
one tool in an arsenal to take this away.

Paul Serice