Re: GNU License and Computer Break Ins

Raul Miller wrote:
> First, you really ought to learn to think clearly.
>
> You've assigned the wrong purpose to the GPL.

We have different views on this.  I don't think this necessarily makes
me wrong.  It all depends on how the future plays out.

Frankly, I hope you're right; I hope I am wrong.  I hope the GPL proves
to be just another boring legal document with a scope limited to the
mundane affairs of controlling the distribution of software.

I encourage people to decide this for themselves though.

> Earlier, you asked why Debian didn't issue a statement of protest
> against RMS.  For breaking the law.
>
> If you still hold that point of view, I don't see you presenting the
> relevant information, to back it up.  If you don't hold that point of
> view, I don't see you apologizing.

You are correct.  I own RMS a big apology.  Your argument that if he
doesn't buy commercial software, why would he buy commercial music
seems the most reasonable.  I wish I had considered it earlier.

So, my humblest apologies to RMS.

I don't regret the thread though.  It has largely cleared up my
misconceptions by giving me an understanding of the GPL that goes beyond
its four corners.

Paul Serice