Re: GNU License and Computer Break Ins

Joey Hess wrote:

> Paul Serice wrote:
> > What is legally binding is neither the text I quoted nor the text to
> > which you refer.  Rather, it is the interpretation of the text to which
> > you refer (and possibly other documents) by a judge of competent
> > jurisdiction (or a similar decision maker).
> >
> > To my knowledge, there has been no such interpretation.  So, I turn to
> > the next best thing:  an interpretation in the text that accompanies the
> > license.  I don't think this makes me silly.
>
> It's pretty damn silly to turn to the manual for GDB for an
> interpretation of the GPL.
>
> The text you quoted is _not_ part of the GPL, nor is it commonly
> distributed with the GPL. It just happens to accompny the GPL in the
> GDB manual.

Joey,

I think you do a great job for Debian.  I love your weekly summaries.

But ...

If you have a second, look at the info page for DDD under

     Summary --> Free Software

DDD is now apparently under the aegis of GNU.  The quote I give comes
straight from the GNU's mouth in a short section devoted to explaining
the power they want the GPL to confer.

This is not some random quote that I'm taking out of context.  There is
a logical nexus here.

Paul Serice