Re: is kde and kde app source debian-legally distributable?

On Thu, Dec 03, 1998 at 13:52:14 -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> You're asserting your conclusion as your argument.  This gets nowhere.

Raul, I'm not trying to win an argument here. I'm genuinely trying to
understand your position. To the best of my knowledge,
> > The conflict between KDE's and Qt's license only affects the
> > /distribution/ of /binaries/. I can't see what would be wrong in making
> > it easier for our users to build KDE binaries themselves.

Apperantly you seem to think otherwise. Why, in your opinion, would having a
kde-src package (similar to the qmail-src and pine-src we already have) make
Debian liable for contributory infringement?

> (2) the GPL -- for example, try to explain how it can restrict binaries in
> this case without also restricting source.

The GPL says:
:Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
:covered by this License; they are outside its scope.

Thus, in the privacy of my own system, I can compile a GPL-ed source against
whatever evil licensed library I wish (say a binary-only one like libforms).

Ray
--
J.H.M. Dassen                 | RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may
jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl      | not be a better one than the one the blocks