Re: is kde and kde app source debian-legally distributable?

J.H.M. Dassen Ray" <jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> (We're getting into the really hypothetical here, as Troll and KDE are
> working to make this discussion moot, but...)

In principle, yes.  However,

> If I understand you correctly, you're saying something like "Putting
> KDE sources on a Debian FTP site is encouraging people to build
> binaries of them and redistribute these binaries, thus encouraging
> them to violate the license agreement enforced by KDE being GPLed".

Yes:

(1) The essence of our our package system is to make it easier for people
to build and install the programs.

(2) Last time I checked the kde web site, the only explicit instructions
they had to the effect that kde requires Qt was an error message from
./configure if the qt library wasn't available.  We make much stronger
statements in our debian sources.

(3) KDE doesn't appear to distribute Qt at all -- we most likely would
be distributing Qt.

(4) A significant number of people use our software and wouldn't install
KDE if it wasn't available in our package format.

> This is too far-fetched for me to take seriously. By such a line
> of reasoning, putting binaries of "free for noncommerical use"
> software on the non-free section of a Debian site would be encouraging
> companies to use them. And, even more extreme, putting (source or
> binaries of) GPL-ed libraries on a Debian site could be construed as
> encouraging companies to violate the GPL on them.

I'm surprised by this paragraph -- either it's very obviously wrong or
I'm completely missing your point.  I'll try responding based on what
I understand you to be saying:

Of course we're encouraging people to use the stuff we put on our sites.
In most cases that's not a problem.

If there are cases where that's a problem we should remove the offending
packages.  I'm sure you know that KDE is a problem because of the current
Qt/GPL license conflict.

--
Raul