Re: Touchpad middle-click

John Kapnogiannis wrote:
t would certainly explain the problem.

I did this to fix it, restart X and hal afterwards:

http://www.felipe-alfaro.org/blog/2008/10/11/scrolling-with-the-thinkpads-trackpoint-in-ubuntu-810-intrepid/
Unfortunately that didn't work for me. Any other ideas?? In any cause I
think a bug report should be made. The problem probably exists in all
synaptics users so if someone installs squeeze he won't be able to use
his touchpad properly. Do you agree?
Absolutely, i would have reported the bug, but i didn't know which
package to report it on.

Is it HAL, X or the synaptics package which is at fault?

Well as someone already said, the driver wasn't removed. So two things
remain hal and X. The problem in my case showed up when I installed the
X server updates. So maybe we should report the bug on the xserver
package?? :S

I think it's ok to post in xserver, although it may be wrong. Someone
with better knowledge will respond and merge/move it.

Hope someone can help me fix this cause it's really annoying :(

I have just had a similar problem with Logitech trackballs which I fixed with a /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ fdi file (bug #547001) which I lodged against hal.

I suggest that you use
  lshal
and look for the info.product string for your touchpad.

http://www.felipe-alfaro.org/blog/2008/10/11/scrolling-with-the-thinkpads-trackpoint-in-ubuntu-810-intrepid/
 reports "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint"
but your kernel.system/firmware may use a different string, and that might be the problem.

One you have spotted the right string, put a matching file in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ and then restart hal (/etc/init.d/hal restart). Then use lshal again to check that the input.x11_options are being picked up properly.

Once you have got that far, if it is still not working, then use the old /etc/X11/xorg.conf options to put into your /etc/hal/fdi/policy/trackpad.fdi and see what happens. As other had said, after restarting hal also restart X (cntrl-alt-backsp will probably do it if console-set is configured properly).

It looks as if the recent xserver upgrade has broken almost all slightly non standard X configurations because a full set of fdi files were not also shipped. Whether in hal, hal-info or maybe xserver-fdi? :-(

ael