Re: CDROM drive reads too slow

Alexandru Cabuz wrote:
Get hold of cdparanoia for Windows, or try cdparanoia with the '-Z'
flag, or using 'cdda2wav'.

I tried running it with -Z and it does go a little bit faster, but not
x16 or x24 as it should. I tried setting the drive speed to 16 and 24
with hdparm moreover and then forced cdparanoia to read at those
speeds and it won't do it.

Of note is that the drive on my laptop is detected as ide, not as
scsi, or so it seems. The device name is /dev/hdc.

That would be because you have an IDE CD drive, my friend.  Once upon a
time there was a "SCSI Emulation" over the IDE disk but, these days,
people just send ATAPI commands over the IDE bus directly.

The reason I mentioned this is that on this
http://www.marlow.dk/site.php/tech/dell_latitude_d600
account of a Latitude D600 configuration he recommends loading
ide-scsi and making sure it gets detected as scsi by putting a line
append = "hdc=ide-scsi" in the lilo config file. I use grub though so I'm not sure what the
equivalent is.
It is the same (since it is an argument to the kernel).

Also, aside from cdparanoia going slow, creating images or copying CDs
with k3b is also very slow. I don't think this is normal. What good is
it to have a 48x drive if it won't go faster than 6x?

48x is the the maximum value for data-discs. This value can only be reached seldom and if, then usually only in the outer 0.5 centimeters of a disc.

Audio extraction is different from reading data, so this value is smaller in most cases.

I prefer quality and my drive also does only 4x to 8x but that's okay for me.

Kind regards,

Paul