CDROM drive reads too slow

Hello,

I have noticed that my CD drive reads digital audio way slower than it should.
I run cdparanoia and it seems like it's running at not more than 4x. It takes
15 minutes to rip a CD, even without encoding, just rip to wav.

I got DMA enabled which seems to change nothing.

If I try to force cdparanoia to read faster it just won't.

This is on my Dell Latitude D600, running sarge, with 2.6.9 kernel, with ide
compiled into it.

But also on my home computer (which is not a laptop though and on which I have
not recompiled the kernel), on which I am running Sid amd64 port off alioth
same thing happens. I am starting to think it might be a kernel or a driver
problem...

And on my home computer I have a dual boot with Windows 2000, and in Windows
realplayer rips cds WAY faster, like 8 to 10 times faster than cdparanoia in
Linux. So the drive CAN do it, it must be some kind of driver problem...

Of note is that the drive on my laptop is detected as ide, not as scsi, or so
it seems. The device name is /dev/hdc.

Anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Alex.