Re: CDROM drive reads too slow

> Get hold of cdparanoia for Windows, or try cdparanoia with the '-Z'
> flag, or using 'cdda2wav'.

I tried running it with -Z and it does go a little bit faster, but not
x16 or x24 as it should. I tried setting the drive speed to 16 and 24
with hdparm moreover and then forced cdparanoia to read at those
speeds and it won't do it.

> > Of note is that the drive on my laptop is detected as ide, not as
> > scsi, or so it seems. The device name is /dev/hdc.
>
> That would be because you have an IDE CD drive, my friend.  Once upon a
> time there was a "SCSI Emulation" over the IDE disk but, these days,
> people just send ATAPI commands over the IDE bus directly.

The reason I mentioned this is that on this
http://www.marlow.dk/site.php/tech/dell_latitude_d600
account of a Latitude D600 configuration he recommends loading
ide-scsi and making sure it gets detected as scsi by putting a line
append = "hdc=ide-scsi"
in the lilo config file. I use grub though so I'm not sure what the
equivalent is.

Also, aside from cdparanoia going slow, creating images or copying CDs
with k3b is also very slow. I don't think this is normal. What good is
it to have a 48x drive if it won't go faster than 6x?

Alex.