Re: CDROM drive reads too slow

On 17 Jan 2005, Cabuz Alexandru wrote:
> I have noticed that my CD drive reads digital audio way slower than it should.
> I run cdparanoia and it seems like it's running at not more than 4x. It takes
> 15 minutes to rip a CD, even without encoding, just rip to wav.

[...]

> And on my home computer I have a dual boot with Windows 2000, and in
> Windows realplayer rips cds WAY faster, like 8 to 10 times faster than
> cdparanoia in Linux. So the drive CAN do it, it must be some kind of
> driver problem...

Get hold of cdparanoia for Windows, or try cdparanoia with the '-Z'
flag, or using 'cdda2wav'.

Testing with either of those should confirm my belief:  RealPlayer is
not trying hard to keep audio in sync, while cdparanoia is.

Now, if all you care about is getting the audio onto disk quickly, go
ahead and use the '-Z' flag, or 'cdda2wav', and live with the mostly
inaudible errors in the output.

Personally, I feel that getting the audio *correct* is worth it, since
it doesn't add that long to the rip process, and it does enable me to do
so only once with confidence.

> Of note is that the drive on my laptop is detected as ide, not as
> scsi, or so it seems. The device name is /dev/hdc.

That would be because you have an IDE CD drive, my friend.  Once upon a
time there was a "SCSI Emulation" over the IDE disk but, these days,
people just send ATAPI commands over the IDE bus directly.

       Daniel

--
Winning ideological and cultural battles, and creating new paradigms is the
name of the game.