Re: whereami, hibernate & ifconfig

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 11:23 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Not on my system...  if I "ifconfig eth0 down", it goes down and stays down.
> ifplugd will start the system beeping at me as it gains and loses link
> beat, but once the b44 stabilizes, it never runs dhclient again.  I can't
> tell if it's something be misconfigured in ifplugd or another conflict with
> the b44 problem or just that by taking the link down physically without
> changing the ifupdown status ifplugd just refuses to do anything more.

Just for reference, could you give me the list of options that is passed
to your ifplugd for that interface? In my case, it's '-i eth0 -q -f -u0
-d2 -I -b'.

> > ifplugd does that. You can tell
> > it not to. For more information, see FAQ #3 on the ifplugd site.
> I'm off to check it...

Back already? :-)

> Thanks.  I can't see how I missed that.  My interpretation is different to
> yours though - by default it will use _all_ of the possible tools until one
> works - in no specified order.  It actually seems to use ethtool first in
> my case, at least sometimes.

You're right, it also uses mii. You're also wrong, because judging from
the source, it calls ethtool, mii, wlan and iff, in that order. priv
apparently isn't used in auto-mode, as far as I can tell.

Koen