Re: whereami, hibernate & ifconfig

Koen Vermeer wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 19:26 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Ah - what you mean is that with ifplugd running, if you do "ifconfig eth0
>> down", _ifplugd_ still thinks the interface is up.  After "ifconfig eth0
>> down", the interface is definitely _down_.
>
> No, if ifplugd is running and you run a 'ifconfig eth0 down' command,
> then normally the interface is still UP.

Not on my system...  if I "ifconfig eth0 down", it goes down and stays down.
ifplugd will start the system beeping at me as it gains and loses link
beat, but once the b44 stabilizes, it never runs dhclient again.  I can't
tell if it's something be misconfigured in ifplugd or another conflict with
the b44 problem or just that by taking the link down physically without
changing the ifupdown status ifplugd just refuses to do anything more.

> ifplugd does that. You can tell
> it not to. For more information, see FAQ #3 on the ifplugd site.

I'm off to check it...

[regarding non-dependency on mii-tool]

> That's why I said I think the packaging is not that mature :-) But it is
> on the man page. Look at the -m option. By default, it doesn't use mii.

Thanks.  I can't see how I missed that.  My interpretation is different to
yours though - by default it will use _all_ of the possible tools until one
works - in no specified order.  It actually seems to use ethtool first in
my case, at least sometimes.
--
derek